Sunday, January 25, 2009

Night Assignment Finalist Photo

Our last assignment at About.com was night. I really like night time photography. I think it is challenging and the results can be awesome.

I was fortunate to have another of my photos selected as a finalist for this assignment. We had lots of opportunities for night pictures due to the fact that the assignment took place at the end of the holidays.

This is the photo that was selected as a finalist image:


I was able to take quite a few shots at the Winter Garden Aglow at the Boise Botanical Gardens. They put on quite a light show for the holidays. Here are a few of the shots from that event:

This shot deserves an explanation. I have been using a technique where you set your shutter speed for a longer exposure, and then while the shutter is open, you twist the zoom on the lens. It results in some pretty cool effects. Well I was trying that on this shot and ended up twisting both the zoom and the focus rings. I thing the effect was very different but turned out quite nice. What do you think?








I also got some night shots looking across a pond in downtown Boise. I thought these turned out really nice:




We also tried some shots at home with a toy my son got for Christmas. It was a light up top. I thought it made some pretty cool patterns:






Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

Taylor Smart said...

Those turned out sooooo good!!! GREAT JOB!!!!