Saturday, December 6, 2008

Thanksgiving Pictures

As I mentioned in my last post, we traveled to Utah for Thanksgiving to be with Family and friends. I had an opportunity to take lots of pictures on this trip.

I took some photos of the Christmas lights my Dad had up in his backyard. I got some photos of one of the Canyons in Tooele County. The town where these photos were taken is called Ophir. There is a long history behind the name of the town. I also got some nice pictures of the lights on Temple Square in Salt Lake City.

First off, here are the shots of the lights at my Dads house.

This shot is of a wagon wheel with the lights strung on it.

For this shot, I set up a longer exposure and twisted the zoom lens on my camera while the shutter was open. I had seen this effect on some photos on the About.com Photography forums several months ago. The person had used this effect with a statue and it looked kind of weird. I thought the effect with the lights was really cool. What do you think? I have several other examples below.








I even tried the zoom effect on the blow up bear and I think it turned out kind of cool...



These next shots are of Ophir canyon. This used to be a mining town. My Grandpa lived there and mined back in the day. I think the canyon is beautiful and as you can see from the some of the shots below, you can still see relics from the mining days long since gone.








These next shots are of the lights on Temple Square. I particularly like the reflecting pool shots. They give an interesting perspective on the building and the lights.


I thought I would try this shot in black and white. I have received differing opinions on the shot. What do you think of it? Do you like the color shot better or the black and white image? I think the black and white might have been better during daylight but it does offer a different view of the lights without color.




















Happy Holidays and feel free to leave a comment.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I too like the reflecting ponds. The pictures turned out beautiful. I like the color picture of the Assembly Hall.

Kim said...

I too like the reflecting ponds. The pictures turned out beautiful. I like the color picture of the Assembly Hall.

Kim said...

I posted this same comment twice in case I didn't get my point across. :-) (Not really...I have no idea what I am doing sometimes.)

Aggie Fam said...

I really like the Assembly Hall pics. It is interesting to me how different things are drawn to your eye when you change from color to b & w.